Sunday, June 05, 2005

Where is my digital camera when I need it?

Yesterday visited a couple of camps where there are several hundred displaced persons/families that have no homes and are waiting to move into housing at some future point in time. The living conditions were pretty terrible but the people seemed (unbelievably) to be in fairly high spirits. It was a real eye opener to me viewing these areas and meeting with some of the officials in this area.

The Kurdish children are SO cute. I cannot tell you how many children's hands I shook or held; they all wanted to come up to the soldiers and touch them. We have received a number of care packages here; one such package was a bunch of beanie babies. So...I handed out my very first beanie baby to a beautiful little girl who was probably around 6 years old.

Went to church services this morning (Latter-Day Saints) which was very nice to be in a quiet, spiritual setting for about an hour.

I think I will have the opportunity to do some good things here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Friend,

It's Tooley. Hope you are doing well today. I will be sending you some of those aerosoll cans this week, maybe throw in a few more items. Glad you are being fed well. You won't come home too skinny. Love the nature shots. Enjoyed the LONG Mars/Venus story.
I went to Chastain Park last night to see Santana in concert. It was great! I won free tickets and parking pass at a drawing at work. We were center close up front - awesome!! Tradition is to bring lots of food, candles, flowers. Once it got dark it was a pretty sight with all the candles burning with the 3,000 people there.
You're doing a great job! Proud of you and your team. Thinking about you and praying for you. Best wishes.
Love, Tooley

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Buddy... thanks for the posts and pix. I must admit it is so very strange to see you in fatigues (and bald!) when I am used to seeing you in our traditional uniform of khakis and blue shirts. The heat sounds stifling... reminds me of when I spent a delightful summer in Houston on crutches.

I really appreciated the depiction of meeting the children... it is so easy to see the innocence of people through the childrens' eyes. I've heard that one kind look, or one simple gesture to someone can make all the difference.

I heard something today that I really liked and thought I would share. I heard that people enter our lives for either a reason, a season or a lifetime. That really struck a chord with me, and it reinforces the power of a "chance" meeting having reason.

Stay well, buddy.

ValPal

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute head! The heat sounds terrible, but you know how I respond to heat. Not good. Sydney and Nicholas are here now. We're trying to get ready for Sydney's birthday party. Your family will be here this weekend. Pleaseeeeeeee stay safe. I love you. d.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home