Wednesday, June 08, 2005

An ice cold Pepsi

Yesterday I was able to go "downtown" and meet/greet a local government official as well as I guess you could call him a state director of public works for the province where I work. I am finding a fairly predictable custom when one meets with these good people - usually an older man will come in shortly after we have shook hands (and I have attempted a few words/phrases in Kurdish which sounds, by the way, completely different from Arabic)....and bring out the "chai" for us which is basically tea with a lot of sugar. Then he will bring out bottled water, followed by ice cold Pepsi cans! ... the cold Pepsi is particularly appreciated (I pass on the chai) given the hot, dry temperatures we are in.

The weather is hovering around the low 100's and it really is the dry heat kind. I am very thankful that the weather here is not similar to the humid/wet heat of North Carolina - I don't do well in humid weather.

Looking forward to the rest of my guys coming in so we can officially start our deployment...in the meantime I continue to scope out all of the good deals, etc and basically pave the way for them to come in with the least amount of confusion and aggravation.

On another note, it seems that there are no shower curtains that come with the showers. Instead the bathrooms are built in such a way that any water runoff from the shower simply goes down a hole in the middle of the bathroom...I am okay with all of this as long as the water continues to look clean and comes out of the shower head at more than a trickle pace.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I can understand you being thankful for dry heat as opposed to the humidity and wetness of NC. The past few days have brought forth not only a blast of high temperatures, but, also, a strong indication of the humidity that will be a constant throughout the summer months.

How interesting to learn that chai is offered at official meetings. This same custom is also common in Turkey; I remember that while on vacation there, I was offered chai before any price negotiations (for purchases) began. I wonder if tea is grown in your part of the world, or is it imported?

Keep safe.

Love,

Mum

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay safe and try to keep cool. We returned from Utah on Saturday night (really Sunday morning), and I was extremely grateful to be back in NC and down at sealevel. The elevations in Wyoming were much too much for me! Love you, Dorothy

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home