Tuesday, September 06, 2005


Here is a picture of a mall in Doha, Qatar. Yes, that is a skating rink in the middle of the mall. My unit commander authorized me to go on a four day pass to Doha, Qatar. How could I pass that up! What a difference Qatar is from Iraq, as you can imagine. Qatar is an extremely wealthy country - I just read today that Qatar has donated $100 million to the US for the Hurricane Relief Fund. Wealth is evident everywhere - upscale mall, booming skyscrapers in construction, no trash on the streets or even poor people, etc. Iraq is almost at the complete opposite of the spectrum - crumbling, ancient infrastructure, trash everywhere, little construction, and threats of violence constant in the air. Here in Qatar, the base here offers MWR activities (MWR = morale, welfare, and recreation). The other day I took a trip to a local mall and except for most of the shoppers wearing either long flowing white robes (men) or long flowing black robes (women) I would have thought I was back in the USA at an upscale mall - very impressive.

It is nice to take a break after being �in-country� for a little over three months - where has the time gone? It is nice to wake up and have absolutely no responsibilities - the questions of the day around here are: should I go to the pool after or before my run? How much reading time do I want to do before the free movie starts at the base theater? Should I go for chicken quesadillas or ribs? J

The summer is over - and I think about the school season starting for my daughters. Another season has commenced - my favorite one actually being the fall. I hope everyone has enjoyed their summer and is looking forward to this fall season with their friends and families.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wednesday, September 7, 2005. Oh, yes, I could do some serious buying damage on every floor of that fabulous looking mall. Perhaps I could leave Perry to skate around the rink while I shop? I have to ask: Did the stores have sales going on?

We're so glad you had the chance to get some R & R. You certainly deserved the break from the "office grind." Hopefully, the change of scenery and pace has left you refreshed. More often than not, a break, no matter how short, is extremely beneficial.

Today, I plan to work on a project for the Writing about Film class I'm taking. My assignment this past weekend was to see the movie The Constant Gardener and write a review based on my impressions. My review will, no doubt, comment on the interesting photography techniques used in the movie.

Keep safe.

Love,

Mum

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool, about the skating rink and all. It'd be kind of weird though. Well, got to go,

love,
themiddlechild

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home